Burns Fatal To Summum Woman Friday Evening

Mrs. William McLean Pours Kerosene On Fire In Kitchen Stove

Mrs. Laura McLean, telephone operator at Summum, died Friday evening at five o'clock at the Methodist hospital at Peoria from third degree burns sustained early that morning in an explosion at her home.

Mrs. McLean was starting a fire in the kitchen stove about 7 o'clock Friday morning. She poured kerosene from an oil can on live coals when it exploded, covering her with the flaming liquid. All her clothes were burned from her body. Her husband, who was in the home at the time, suffered painful burns on his hands in attempting to extinguish the blaze in his wife's clothing, but he did not require hospitalization.

The kitchen and bedroom in the home was badly damaged before the fire was brought under control.

The Astoria Volunteer Fire Department was called to the scene, also fire fighting apparatus from the Mummert Seed House was taken, but a local bucket brigade succeeded in extinguishing the fire before their arrival.

Mrs. McLean was taken to the home of a nearby neighbor and Dr. H. T. Baxter of Astoria was summoned and administered first aid. She was rushed to the Peoria hospital in Cline Horton's ambulance.

It was a very sad affair, indeed, and the neighbors and friends of the community sympathize deeply with Mr. McLean in the loss of his wife in such a terrible, tragic death.

Mr. McLean operates a blacksmith shop in Summum and is well known in Astoria.


Laura Ellen McLean of Summum, was born near Bluff City, August 3, 1886, the daughter of Sylvester and Rebecca Markley. She was aged 58 years and 3 months.

Besides her husband, she is survived by an adopted son, T-5 Dale Wilbur McLean, stationed in an army camp at Orlando, Fla., a step-daughter, Mrs. Marie Williams of Appleton, Wis., and stepson, John McLean of Langhorn, Pa., also her aged mother, three brothers, DeLoss Markley of Astoria, Edward F. Markley of Havana and Roy K. Markley of Peoria; three sisters, Mrs. Ethel Moore, Peoria, Mrs. Mary Meyer, Astoria, and Mrs. Helen Stumac of Morton.

Mrs. McLean joined the United Brethren church several years ago. She will be remembered for her charitable deeds and was always ready to lend a helping hand to anyone in need. Her tragic death is mourned by a host of relatives and friends.

Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Christian church in Summum, conducted by Rev. Fred Thompson. Burial in the Summum cemetery.


Published in the Argus-Searchlight on 11/8/1944


Current Obituaries in the Astoria South Fulton Argus