Gun Shot Wound Proves Fatal

Ollie Farwell, Aged 19, of Woodland, Accidently Shoots Self Monday; Dies In Galesburg Hospital. Funeral Thursday.

Monday morning at about 9 o'clock, Ollie Farwell, the 19-year old son of Mr. and Mrs. William Farwell residing southeast of Astoria in Woodland township, received a gun shot wound accidently self inflicted, which proved fatal a few hours later in the Galesburg hospital, where he had been taken for an operation.

According to information, Ollie, in company with Hardy Thompson a neighbor boy, was out hunting. They had cut a tree down and Ollie had leaned his gun up against a stump. In reaching for the gun he had to reach over a log and as he did so he took hold of the muzzle end and pulled it toward him. In some manner the hammer caught and discharged the gun, the full charge entering his right side just above the groin, tearing a large hole about two inches across. He was knocked down, but unassisted, got up and sat on the log. His companion immediately hurried to the home of his father, Frank Thompson, which was not quite a quarter of a mile distant, and got him (Frank Thompson) to go to the assistance of the injured man.

When they returned they found him lying on the log trying to replace his intestines which had protruded to a considerable length. The accident occurred in a deep hollow, and the hillside covered with snow, making them very slippery, they were unable to remove him. It was necessary to get more assistance and from the time the accident occurred until he was taken to the Thompson home, it was about an hour and a half during which time he became severely chilled. However, he displayed great nerve for one so seriously wounded and was in good spirits.

Drs. E. M. Price and J. P. Long were called and gave him medical assistance. On examination they found some six or seven feet of his intestines protruding and part of the large intestine shot away. A few shot passed through his body, but the majority of the load lodged near the liver. They removed two gun-wads but were unable to do anything more than to place a bandage on him, preparatory to taking him to a hospital. He was brought to the home of his aunt, Mrs. John Burgard, where he remained until the midnight train when in company with Dr. Price and his mother and youngest sister, Miss Alice, was taken to Galesburg.

An operation was performed and everything possible was done to save his life, but all in vain. Death relieved him of his terrible suffering at 5 o'clock Tuesday evening. He remained conscious to the end.

The body was brought to Astoria Wednesday on the noon train and taken to the J. B. Harris undertaking parlors where a coroner's jury viewed the remains. The body was then taken to the Farwell home.

Funeral services will be held Thursday at 11 o'clock at the Mt. Zion church. Interment in the Mt. Zion cemetery.

The inquest will be held Thursday in Astoria on the arrival of the coroner.


Published in the Astoria Argus-Search Light on 1/9/1918

* * *


Ollie A., son of William and Annie Farwell, was born March 9, 1898 and died Jan. 8, 1918, aged 19 years, 9 months and 29 days.

In December 1917 he united with the United Brethern Church at Motes Chapel.

Besides his parents he leaves to mourn his sudden demise five sisters and three brothers, namely: Mrs. Maggie Workman, Mrs. Susie Curless, Mrs. Minnie Markley, Flossie, Rose and Darius of Woodland, Johnny, Robert and Alice at home.

Funeral services were held at Mt. Zion last Thursday at 2 o'clock, conducted by Rev. J. E. Fry of Astoria. Burial in cemetery near by.

The funeral was largely attended. The sorrowing relatives have the deepest sympathy of a host of friends.


Published in the Astoria Argus-Search Light on 1/16/1918


Current Obituaries in the Astoria South Fulton Argus