Sylvester Martin

Sylvester Martin was born October 1, 1862, died July 17, 1903, aged 40 years, 9 months and 16 days. He was united in marriage to Anna Gonker, September 3, 1890. He leaves a wife and daughter, an aged father and mother, one brother and two sisters.

Funeral services were conducted at Hickory school house Sunday July 19 by Rev. S. N. Wakefield of Astoria, in the presence of a very large gathering of sympathizing friends.

The M. W. A. had charge of the burial ceremonies.

* * *

SUMMUM — Sylvester Martin, who attempted to end his life by shooting, died last Friday evening about 8 o’clock, and was buried Sunday afternoon in the Hickory cemetery. Rev. M. T. Cooper and Rev. S. N. Wakefield conducted funeral services at the home and at the school house, after which the remains were taken in charge by the Modern Woodmen, of which order he was a member, and with their beautiful and touching ceremony, the body was laid in its last resting place. Mr. Martin was a respected citizen and leaves a wife and daughter, an aged father and mother, two sisters, one brother, and many other relatives and friends to mourn his untimely death.

Published in the Astoria Argus on 7/23/1903

Attempted Suicide.

Mental Derangement the Cause.

About 4 o’clock a.m., Sunday July 12, Sylvester Martin, a well-known and respected farmer living four miles east of Summum, attempted suicide by shooting himself above the right temple with a 38 caliber revolver.

For some time past Mr. Martin had shown signs of a mental derangement, and Saturday evening became quite restless, wandering about the premises in an aimless manner. Late in the evening he insisted on shaving and would not retire at the proper time. The family retired, and early in the morning was awakened by hearing a shot fired. The wife at once began a search for Mr. Martin, and not finding him in his bed, became frightened, and taking her little girl with her ran across the fields, about three-fourth of a mile to the home of her father, rousing the family, who in turn went to the homes of Geo. Dobson, and Manning Martin, a brother of Sylvester. They at once began a search for the missing man.

The first trace found was the hat, jacket and revolver, which was found at the scale house, in the grove on Manning’s place. A pool of blood was also found telling that some act of violence had been committed, but the principal in the affair could not be seen. A track of blood was soon discovered leading across the road.

The searchers took up this ghastly trail, climbing a wire fence and following the track about 150 yards to where they found Sylvester, in the field, clinging to the wire fence. His brother at once asked him whether he had committed the deed himself. He replied that he had. He was taken to his home at once and Drs. Snively and Phillips, of Summum were called, who examined the wound finding that the bullet had split, one part clinging to the skull at place of entrance and the other part penetrating the brain. Later in the day Dr. Sarvois of Havana was called who, with the assistance of Drs. Snively and Phillips, operated upon the patient by trephining, removing the other part of the ball.

At nine o’clock Tuesday morning Mr. Martin was improving. His condition is still dangerous.

Published in the Astoria Argus on 7/16/1903


Current Obituaries in the Astoria South Fulton Argus