LOUISE ELLEN (BAXTER) McCLELLAND

Louise McClelland

Louise McClellandLouise Ellen McClelland, 91, of Rushville died at 1:30 a.m. Aug. 10, 2006, at Snyder's Vaughn-Haven Nursing Home in Rushville.

She was born Feb. 21, 1915, in Oakland Township, Schuyler County, a daughter of Herman C. and Mary Louise Sargent Baxter. She married Herman Leroy McClelland on Sept. 1, 1936, in Rushville. He died Jan. 13, 2004.

She also was preceded in death by one brother, Donald Baxter.

Surviving are four sons, Leroy (and Dianne), Max (and Cindy), Morris (and Cindee) and Dwight, all of Rushville; five daughters, Marilyn (and Jerry) Prather and Martha (and Jerry) Walker, both of Rushville, Emma Lee (and Robert) Crowder of Canton, Marlys (and Robert) Bidner of Mahomet and Jeanne Benson of Galesburg; two brothers, Dwight (and Eloise) Baxter of Rushville and Ralph (and Phyllis) Baxter of Mountain Home, Ariz.; 21 grandchildren; 21 great-grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews, including one nephew, Charles "Chuck" (and Barb) Bean of Moline, whom she and her husband raised.

She graduated from Rushville High School in 1934. She and her husband were life-long farmers. In 1943, they started Fairview Farms, raising purebred Hereford cattle and hogs. They also welcomed three foreign exchange students into their home over the years. She also worked several years at the Rushville Junior High School cafeteria and Littleton Grade School cafeteria.

She was a member of Littleton United Methodist Church, United Methodist Women and was the teacher for the Builders Sunday school class. She was a 4-H leader of the Littleton Lucky Lasses 4-H club, and was active in the Littleton PTA and Littleton Homemakers Extension for many years. She volunteered at the Schuyler Jail Museum and Genealogy Center.

Services were held Monday at her church with Rev. Dixie Croxton officiating. Burial was in Houston Cemetery north of Rushville.

Memorials may be made to her church or Cass-Schuyler Area Hospice.

Condolences may be sent to www.worthingtonfh.com.

Published in the Astoria South Fulton Argus on 8/16/2006