Everett Dougherty

VERMONT — On Saturday our citizens were thrown into a fever of excitement by the news that Everett Dougherty had hung himself in the Ellis barn just North of town. Everett was aged about twenty-four years, a single man, and has not been right mentally for some years but was quiet and gentlemanly with those he came in contact with. His dementia caused him to want to do himself some bodily injury. About two years ago he tried to unman himself and since then has frequently stated that he wanted to die and made the attempt to kill himself once before by cutting an artery in one of his arms.

For some weeks he has been dejected, and shunned being with any one as much as possible and his friends have kept a watch on him. He had a young colt that was on pasture on the Ellis farm less than a quarter of a mile from his home in the North part of town and for some weeks would spend a great deal of time near it, sitting on the fence or a stump wrapped in study. At times he would go and say a few words to some men who were cutting timber near by the pasture and then resume his place again on the fence or stump.

On Saturday morning he was seen about the barn about 7 o'clock by some parties, and afterwards as late as 9 by other parties, which was the last time he was seen alive. Mr. Defrain, who was farming near by the barn unhitched his team at 11:30 and put them in the barn, and on going into the mow to throw down hay discovered him hanging from a beam. Mr. Defrain informed the men who were chopping near by and they returned to the barn and took him down, and then informed the authorities. From appearance Everett had coolly calculated before the rash act. He tied a slip know in a 3/4-inch rope which he found at the barn so that the knot would catch him under the ear. The other end of the rope was thrown over the beam which was low, and when found his knees were nearly touching the floor with his feet extending back of him and it was supposed he had been dead at least two hours. Without placing his feet in the position they were found, it would have been impossible for him to strangle himself, owing to the height of the beam. Esq. Bradley summoned a jury and held an inquest and the verdict was in accordance with the above facts. Everett's funeral took place from his late home where his body was taken after the inquest on Sunday afternoon. The family have the sympathy of all our people.


Published in the Astoria Argus on 5/18/1893

Current Obituaries in the Astoria South Fulton Argus