Lewis Schisler Died Friday In Canton Hospital

Lewis Schisler of Astoria, who became suddenly insane Monday a week ago and who that evening was taken to a hospital in Canton, died Friday morning at 8:30 o’clock. His death was said to have been caused by a tumor on the brain.

In our last week’s issue, we mentioned that Mr. Schisler was removed the following morning after he was admitted in the hospital to the Spencer sanitarium. This was a mistake. He remained in the hospital until the time of his death.

Lewis Schisler, son of John and Matilda Schisler, was born in Woodland township, July 8, 1864 and departed this life at the Canton hospital Dec. 7, aged 64 years, 4 months and 29 days.

Mr. Schisler was a carpenter by trade and lived by himself at the old home on East Broadway. He attended the revival services at the Church of the Brethren Sunday evening and after arriving home, he was stricken during the night or early morning from which he never recovered. He was taken to the Graham hospital and everything done that human hands could do but he never regained consciousness only for a few minutes.

He leaves to mourn his departure two brothers, Henry Schisler of Astoria, B. F. Schisler of Los Angeles, Calif., and two sisters, Mrs. Mary Messenger and Mrs. Ellen Flickenger of Boardman, Ore., a number of nephews and nieces and a host of other relatives and friends.

Funeral services were held Sunday at 1:30 p.m., at the Church of the Brethren, by Rev. W. R. Seitzinger, assisted by Rev. S. G. Bucher and interment in the Astoria mausoleum.


Published in the Argus-Search Light on 12/12/1928

* * *

Lewis Schisler Became Mentally Unbalanced Monday

Lou Schisler, a bachelor, aged about 65, created quite a little excitement Monday afternoon at about 3:00 o’clock when he left his home on East Broadway and started up town barefooted, dressed only in his underwear and carrying his trousers on his arm.

He was intercepted after he had gone a few blocks by Rev. Seitzinger and Jacob Powell. They escorted him back to his home. At first they were under the impression that he was intoxicated, but after investigating, came to the conclusion that he was suffering from mental incapacity and proceeded to make him comfortable as possible.

They found his home in a badly disarranged condition, no fire and everything indicated that Mr. Schisler had suddenly gone insane or else there had been foul play.

A large bump on Mr. Schisler’s head was either caused from a fall or else he had been attacked by someone. His vest, hat, one shoe and his spectacles were in the stove. A large place was burned on the floor.

Dr. D. W. Bottorf was called, but Mr. Schisler continued to be very restless and kept talking in a incoherent manner. It was thought Mr. Schisler would recover in a short time, but when it was found that his condition was getting no better, he was taken to a Canton hospital by W. W. Cassel, Supervisor E. E. David, Charles Lindsey and Dr. H. T. Baxter.

The following morning Mr. Schisler’s condition was found to be no better so he was removed to the Spencer sanitarium.*

We learn that Mr. Schisler attended meeting Sunday night at the Church of the Brethren. The following morning Conrad Wherley, it is said, called to borrow a bucksaw and he found Mr. Schisler dressed only in his underclothes and apparently was terribly chilled, indicating that he had no fire in the house.

[*Laura’s note: In Lewis’s obituary the following week, they stated that he actually was at the Canton hospital the whole time, and was not taken to the Spencer sanitarium as previously reported.]

Published in the Argus-Search Light on 12/5/1928


Current Obituaries in the Astoria South Fulton Argus